Tuesday, February 9, 2010

MusicMedic experiment, take 1



Greetings to all the saxophoners out there. My name is Wesley. I am a professional saxophonist and an amateur saxophone repairman. In fact, you could probably call me a beginner. When I was in college, a colleague showed me some basics of repair and upkeep, namely cork replacement, fixing a weak spring, etc. To save money, I've done a lot of my own work on my horn as well as my students' horns.

Well, I've decided to take it to the next level and actually attempt an overhaul. Iv'e heard a lot about the repair kit put out by MusicMedic.com and decided to see if it can really work for a novice repairman making a first attempt at an overhaul. So, I'm creating this blog in order to document my experience with the MusicMedic kit (using it's instructions and all) and let my readers out there know if it actually works.

I have a beginning 12-year-old student who is currently renting a no-name brand throw-away horn. If everything works out with the overhaul, this will be his new horn. I'm working with an old Selmer Signet I bought off of Craigslist for cheap. The horn plays okay but has many leaks and is in desperate need of attention. My goal is to replace all the corks and pads, get rid of as much friction and play within the keys as I can, and set up the action and key heights for optimum feel, sound, and intonation.

More images to come in the next post.

Yours,
Bridgesax

1 comment:

  1. Wesley,
    Thanks for sending the link to this blog. It's cool to see our Repair kit in action. Keep it up. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

    All the best!

    Curt Altarac
    www.MusicMedic.com

    ReplyDelete