Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Cork

For each cork replacement, I first figured out what thickness I needed for each spot. When taking this into consideration, I used a piece slightly thicker than what was originally on there with the plan to sand it down to the ideal height.





Before cutting the amounts and measurements of cork I needed, I first applied a thin layer of contact cement. I also applied cement to all the surfaces on the horn where I am going to replace cork. It takes about 10 minutes for the cement to dry to an ideal adhesion before connecting the two cemented surfaces. I noticed that if you connect the cork to the metal key surface before the cement has enough time to adequately dry, the adhesion is a little mushy and can be easily torn off.














Also, be sure that the metal surface on each key is clean and free of dirt by first cleaning it with an alcohol napkin.















After all the corks were in place, I went back and cut any edges hanging over with a razor. Now it's time to replace the pads.









No comments:

Post a Comment